Art and Fruedian Sexual Ideals

"Suddenly we discover that sex doesn't have to look like sex..." How to Read Literature like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster Page 136
I found this quote to be of interest because it does not only apply to literature. I also applies to art. Many artists in the early 1900's were very in Freud's Psychosexual view on dream and the unconscious thinking placed on images. Many paintings used different themes to resemble sex, but you would not know it was sexual at first glance. Instead you would only thing that it is portraying a dream, which it also may have been doing but Freud believed that dreams had to deal with sex. Actually, most things had to deal with sex when it came to Freud. Anyway, take for instance a paint that has a train coming through a fireplace (Yes, this painting actually exists but I cannot remember the artists name or the title of the work at this moment). Think of the sexual context. I just found it interesting that I could relate literature once again to my field of interest.

Christopher Dufalla said:

Freud was very big on the relation of dreams to sexual desires. I had not given it too much thought as far as art, but I did comment about the use of sexual symols and references in film and literature on Chelsie Bitner's blog. Art is indeed another output for such ideas about sex.

I suppose that sex can indeed be hidden within paintings and sculptures just as easily as it can be in film and literature.