My American Literature Portfolio: How I Dove into the Depths of the Written World and Emerged with Knowledge, Experience, and a Pound of Halibut

This blog entry is for my American Literature 1800-1915 class. This post will demonstrate my ability to carry on an intelligent conversation, analyze and critique literature, develop my own ideas, and maybe even a few other things.

Coverage and Timeliness: these items demonstrate my commitment to this class as they were handed in on time, and after I realized we had to do it, linked them on the course website.
-This is a response to Emerson's text about words, handed in before class, with the link on the course webpage.

-This entry is a few days early. It is also a response to Emerson's text, but this time it is about Emerson's discussion of the eye.

-This is another early entry. It's about Uncle Remus and that crazy rabbit. The link was also early.
---

Depth: these demonstrate my ability to look at text deeper than face value.

-This post links The Scarlet Letter and How to Read Like a Professor.

-I know I used this text for Coverage and Timeliness, but I think my entry on Emerson's idea of words is a good example of thinking deeper into the text.
---

Discussion: these links lead to conversations on my blog that I sparked and contributed to.
Unfortunately, they never got too deep.

-This is a conversation on Uncle Remus's language. The dialect led us to resort to all the reading tricks we learned in grade school.

-This one is about "The Machine" in John Henry. The short discussion was about "The Machine," literally and figuratively.
---

Interaction: this section is about links, communication, ease of understanding what I'm talking about...

If a stranger came across my page, I think these posts would be easy for him to understand in subject matter, objectives, and content.

-A few thoughts "Bartleby the Scrivener" and that spineless narrator. I gave my thoughts on that guy. Page numbers included.

-A few thoughts one Emily Dickinson's "Beclouded." Anyone reading this can figure out what it's about.
---

Xenoblogging: this is for my interaction on the blogs of my peers.

-A short conversation on Emerson's ideas about nature. We thought he went overboard...

-This is another comment on Emerson, but this time it was about humans. I respectfully disagreed with my peer's opinion on human selfishness and care of knowledge.

-This is conversation on The Ballad of John Henry as a tall tale and a timeless tale. We discussed how stories change when they are passed down through word of mouth and how the issues the ballads discuss are still relevant today.
---

The Wildcard: this is my own personal work. Cheers.

-This is an entry about The Poet and human vanity. This is completely relevant to this course. Emerson had a blurb about the poet in Nature and here I have given my own philosophical interpretation of what a poet is. Literature constantly discusses human nature and interaction, and my thoughts on human vanity only joins that timeless discussion.

-I know this portfolio was for Writing for the Internet, but it demonstrates, as does this blog entry, my ability to post links, videos, hash tags, and everything in between. Which is part of what Dr. Jerz is trying to teach us by having us use these blogs.

-A bit of original lyrical poetry. We have read John Henry's ballads and Emily Dickinson's poetry. Why not read me?