Stuff I Overlooked From American Literature: 1800-1915!

Okay, I did listen to all the assigned podcasts, but I forgot to blog about the first chunk of them

So here it goes!

Podcast 1

It is a little ironic that Irving learned his craft in England and then became one of the greatest early American writers. But this is not uncommon in history, especially in painting. When the US was first starting out, it didn't have any great painters. After all, in this time period, I believe the center of the art world was Paris. Or London. I'm not sure which, but the point is, it was in Europe, on the other side of the Atlantic.

Have you ever seen a dollar bill? That portrait was done by a guy who's name I can't remember, but he taught himself to paint through trial and error. It took forever, and made some of his patrons very upset.

I also think it was awesome that Irving took a page of the newspaper out for his story. It's just like Wells and "The War of the Worlds," except no one was crying!
----

Podcast 2

Thank goodness for my Survey of Art class from freshman year of high school. (That's where I got that little ditty about Podcast 1) If it wasn't for that class, I wouldn't really understand the name of the "Romantic" art movement. My teacher explained it as "anything to do with the emotions." Which was a pretty good explanation.

Also, it's good to know that "Goody" and "Goodman" were similar to today's "Missus" and "Mister." I kinda wish we could go back to using those terms. Seems like it'd be a little more fun.
----

Podcast 3

Hawthorne is never subtle! Never! Dah, this infuriates me! I'm reading through the book, and I'll pick up on something: "Ah, I see what he's doing here. This is a metaphor for..." And then in the next line, he practically says, "Did you see what I just did? I made a metaphor for..."
C'mon,Hawthorne!
I don't know if he did this out of his own artistic insecurity or if he did it to make "The Scarlet Letter" easier for future college students, but it takes away some of the fun of reading for me. Him pointing it out makes me feel like I'm not accomplishing as much.
----

Podcast 4

It's the same thing again! Hawthorne is not subtle! Of course Pearl is another symbol for the scarlet letter, they both came from the same act! This is the stuff we're supposed to write bad papers on, not have Hawthorne explain to us. Also, Hester was wearing a red dress. Red dresses are supposed to be attractive today. I'm just saying.
----

Podcast 5

"A" stands for "Abel." How about that for a 180? Suddenly Hester is the martyr. Do the Puritans feel bad for harassing her for the last decade? I think this is a bit of weakness in the Puritan faith, at least in its members. Makes me wonder whether or not they actually believe what they believe (and in this book, not all of them do, as some people are heading out to the woods).
----

Podcast 6

Pearl is starting to look more and more like her daddy, Goodman Dimmesdale.
I wish the story lasted ten more years in that town.
I wish we could have gotten a look at everyone as Pearl began to resemble more and more of Dimmesdale.
I wonder if the townspeople would ever be able to figure it out. They still have no idea who the father was, so Mr. Dimmesdale is always a candidate. But I wonder how willing the people would be to allow themselves to even think Dimmesdale was the father. They love him maybe more than God. It would have been interesting to see how the story would have played out if the people brought Dimmesdale to justice. It probably would have saved his life.