« Sure Thing | Main | Glass Menagerie scenes 1- 5 »

It Aint Necessarily So chapters 6&7

It Ain't Necessarily So (Ch 6 & 7) -- News Writing (EL 227)

In chapter 6, I found the quote by Stein to sum up what a survey is about in a news article. I never thought how much of an answer actually depends on the question. The wording of questions, the order, and the way they are asked really do make a difference. I like how the author says "the answers are seldom meaningful unless you also know about the questions that elicited them."

I chapter 7, find out that the media is more bent on reporting event rather than issues was not surprising. The fact that drama itself gets more attention then an actual answer to a problem is what media is about isnt it? Why they do not like to report on risks makes no sense to me. A risk is a serious matter, but an important one also. Espcially knowing that surveys and statistics on such important issues are always made known to the public.

Posted by RachelPrichard at October 31, 2005 2:00 AM

I don't think the authors were arguing that journalists shouldn't report on risks at all; rather, that they should make sure to do their homework and compare the research results they get from one survey with those of several other surveys (especially if those other surveys came up with dramatically different statistics).

Posted by: ChrisU at October 31, 2005 11:37 AM