« Professor Bernhardi (finish) | Main | Kindertransport discussion »

chap. 6 & 7 We the Media

We the Media (Ch 6 & 7) -- News Writing (EL 227)

Chapters 6 & 7 talk about how the audience of journalism is now becoming apart of the journalistic community. I like how the author split the chapters into journalists joining the program and then the public joining in. the chapter also talked about how certain newspapers and periodicals used bulletin boards and blogs and were surprised at the response given by the audience. my favorite quote from the chapters is one about how print journalists should not be scared. " we shouldnt see this as a threat. It is rather, the best oppurtunity in decades to do even better journalism."

Posted by RachelPrichard at November 17, 2005 8:20 PM

I think it is really mportant that Gillmore stresses that these advances are not a threat to journalists and that they should embrace the changes because they can be used in a positive way.

Without this emphasis I think this book would a negative effect on peoples views of the new media used to make journalism as a conversation.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 18, 2005 10:50 AM

I agree Rachel. The advances are growing rapidly. The only problem is that there are some people out there who don't take this blogging and grassroots journalism seriously. As we've discussed numerous times in class before, we don't really know who we can trust. There is always the possibility of someone totally making something up or not telling the whole truth. so then when that spreads around, it's false information. That's the only down side that I see with such a rapid increase.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at November 29, 2005 2:14 PM