« fences | Main | chp 3-5 We The Media »

We the Media Chap1 and intro

We the Media (Intro, Ch 1 & Ch 2) -- News Writing (EL 227)

From Gilmor I noticed he had two points. How far journalism has come since the first days of print press to the new age of technology. I liked his quote, " This evolution from journalism as a lecture to journalism as a conversation or seminar will force various communities to adapt." HE does have a point in that times are changing and the media will change with them. I do think that the internet will not completely take over print press. Newspapers and Magazines are respected institutions in this society.
In the first chapter Gilmor took us on a into history of where journalism has come from. The history of journalism has advanced so much just in the past 6 years. With the actions of sept 11th we were blogging. In recent year live journals have popped up that show the news and lives of people everywhere. I can see that this book will be tracing just what new ideas and tools are taking over journalism today

Posted by RachelPrichard at November 14, 2005 5:55 PM

Rachel, I think that this book is going to be better than the last one we just finished. I think it is more intriguing and interesting. When i read it, i enjoy it. I think that how Gillmore puts in his own thougths and history in the book gives a perspective of what he really thinks how journalism is changing with technology.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 18, 2005 10:19 AM

Sorry to disagree, but for some reason I liked the last book better. Yes it had many biases but I think overall it was just more interesting to read. This one seems to repeat a lot of the same information and it doesn't really keep my attention very well.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at November 29, 2005 10:53 AM

I agree with Andy on this one! I found it hard to get into this book as well. The last book was rather repetitive, but, I found the overall message to be much more useful than this book. I know a lot of people will disagree, but I think that I will use information from It Ain't Neccessarily So much more than I will We the Media. Just my opnion though.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at December 1, 2005 11:50 PM

Rachel, what's your verdict now that we're through with the book?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at December 2, 2005 12:36 AM