« Death of a Salesman finish | Main | internet identies »

August 30, 2006

Myspace the movie touches too close to home

David Lehre was right on when he cameup with this idea. After the movie was done, not only was i laughing but htinking to myself how id seen all those things before (with exception of the deer head toting hillbilly with the duck call ). Ive seen couples break up over certain pictures or top 8 posts. Who hasnt been to a party where they are doin something utterly stupid and drunk and the next day your on facebook or myspace. It seems to me that alot of people our age now measure their love in messages and comments. I admit i do sometimes...only a lil bit. I really enjoyed this assignment because it made me realize how communicating with these type of sites is really a big part of culture now. In all honesty, myspace, friendster, facebook, etc these sites are like crack to our generation. Highly addicting.

Posted by RachelPrichard at August 30, 2006 1:54 PM

Similar things came to my mind as I watched this movie for class. It poked fun at cliches that I believed to be the ever-evolving pitfalls of online culture. While it validated some of the biases or prejudices I held (because of my lack of exposure), it also made me wonder what kind of impact these sites would eventually have on society and the way we interact and relate to one another (in particular love & romance)-especially for a generation that is growing up without being exposed to anything different.(Does that make me sound old?) All I know is that it made me grateful for my husband, knowing that I will always make it in the top 8 of someone's list.
(BTW, he showed me his myspace page the other day, and although he hasn't been on since we first got married, it still says he's single & basically available...hmm, maybe I should worry...)

Posted by: Cherie at August 30, 2006 9:31 PM

Clichés say a lot, though. They pin-point what is wrong with a situation by making it obvious that it is, in fact, a cliché, in my opinion. I couldn't help laughing at this thing--the deer head bopping all over the screen cracked me up--but some of the "typical" things that were happening are so cliché that it wasn't even funny.

The clichés of weird-angled photos, drunken photos, misunderstanding, misrepresentation, "second-life-persona-building," and the like just point to the mutilation of meaningful relationships and relationship building in an online society that still maintains a "real" life. Nothing is 100% evil, however--even MySpace.

Posted by: Karissa at August 30, 2006 9:58 PM