« Blogging at SHU | Main | »

Ahhh the good old days of Paper

Growing up in the technology of my generation has actually had an effect on how i few the "old school" form of text or paper as I believe they call it. In highschool, i was taught to embrace books and read as many of the classics as i could; even though my friends were telling me to go to sparknotes.com and just get the summary really quick from there. I admit that I agreed with Golub when he said that he could read pages of a book for longer then he could stare at a computer screen. I found myself with bloodshot eyes during the end of last semester after looking at webpage after webpage. But people like Golub who can still appreicate and revel in the idea of a paperback book should be appreicated. My own mother still goes to her own used book stores and is in heaven whenever barnes and noble is having a half off sale on books. She is one of the last people i know who still reads an article on paper more often then seeing a computer screen.
I admit that in the summer I try to read a book since i do not have to stare at the computer screen for hours each day, and it feels pretty good and relaxing. You would have never heard me say that in highschool after having to read Shakespeare of To Kill A Mockingbird. I guess with age comes an appreciation for the simple things in life. One of those simple things to my generation is the idea of paper.

"At annual meetings I had colleagues tell me that they really like it and are interested in digital scholarship but they still (and presumably unlike me) enjoy reading actually physical books."

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 9, 2006 6:01 PM