« Facebook Faux Paus | Main | Ahhh the good old days of Paper »

Blogging at SHU

I remember when i first started blogging last year for my first college course i was not too excited about it. I felt lost and confused about blogging. A year later here i am chatting away on my own blog and enjoying it. In the past year I have seen how facebook and blogging have affected SHU and the effect it has had on the student body. Ive heard stories about how so and so wrote this on his blog or how oh no camps us security might be busting people for havng pics of them drinking in the dorms. It's all natural and normal to me now. I even remember when this article first came out last year and how excited Professor Jerz was. I have to admit I felt a sense of pride in knowing that SHU is one of the schools embracing such a now popular form of communication.
This semester I am actually taking writng for the internet as well as communication theories and technologies. Im beginning to see in many ways how this new form of communication is really a part of many professions students here are going into. So we need to understand how to use them properly and resposibly. I liked the quote from the professor from Aiken used in the article saying, "If they present themselves as intelligent thinking human beings, they will be rewarded. If not, then they won't be." That pretty much sums up how people will perceive anyone they see on the internet whther thru a blog or not.

"If they present themselves as intelligent thinking human beings, they will be rewarded. If not, then they won't be,"

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 6, 2006 3:24 PM

I have to admit but you might have gotten me to turn to "face book", I have always been a skeptic and as I read your blog,you made it hopeful to use such an online community.Not everything you do is perfect or for all eyes to read or hear,what I am attempting to say, if you have kept your entries somewhat p.c.'d then I couldn't see a potential employer looking down on you or turning you away from a job,we all were silly in our younger days.

Posted by: jeremy barrick at September 7, 2006 11:34 PM

You know, I feel the same way, as a "newbie" I felt confused also but the more and more I blog I begin to feel more comfortable.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at September 8, 2006 11:21 AM