« Kushner teaches stupid girl the hard way | Main | Blogging at SHU »

Facebook Faux Paus

I recall how i first started my facebook my freshman year. I sat on my bed while my friend Shannon filled in all the information for me because i thought it would be too confusing for me to use. Here I am a year later and about 60 seconds ago i just check my facebook and wrote someone a comment. It's crazy how Facebook has taken over as a normal part of college life. I have alot of friends who are addicted to they Myspace and have facebook, and some of them are now starting to get just as interested in facebook as they are in myspace. But of course with your own online identity comes the responsibility of using it properly and showing yourself in the right light.
I admit there are things on my facebook that could be changed in the case of a future employer looking me up. But if they did decide to google me not only would they see my early college year silly antics, but alos the blogs ive written, Setonian articles i have written, and even what im writing at this moment. In my opinion, if one is going to be silly or foolish with one piece of online resource, perhaps they should balance it out with something positive for your online persona. Im not saying that if you post pictures of yourself doing something questionable witht he law that if you write an insightful blog entry it won't matter. Be smart with what you put out on the internet. the fact that facebook is a college related sight..i wouldn't be surprised if Deans, professors, or security does look at some profiles. I know for a fact that certain Lacrosse players got in trouble with their coach last year for joining a certain group that claimed they "ran from campus security and were never caught." Students need to be aware that the people they think would never see this stuff could very well have access to it. Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't want your mother to read or see it, don't put it up ont he internet. Chances are she probably has figured out how to log on to Facebook by now also.

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 6, 2006 1:58 PM

I think the way you are approaching Facebook is very mature and realistic. You realize what you are putting out there and you back up what you post by balancing it with academics. Judging by what you wrote for the Setonian, employers will be impressed. It definitely feels good to google yourself and find your blogs and not some porno site.

Posted by: Erin Waite at September 8, 2006 11:15 AM