« what's the deal with email and professors | Main | enough is enough is enough »

It comes with the territory

Many other professors who have taught online also report that they have developed something like an obsession when it comes to their online courses -- a mixture of curiosity and a sense that if they don't keep logging on, they might fall hopelessly behind. Many say their online teaching cuts into other activities, such as research and time with family.

I was surprised to read in this article how professors who teach online courses seem stressed because of the amount of emails they get. I liked this particular quote becuase it seems to me that now they know how on top of certain courses one has to be. I think that this article showed me that professors need to be just as on top their game as the students. Grenci certainly seemed to still be breathing while teaching his course.
I can see how taking online courses would be takign away from a more traditional learning experience. I feel like i am learning more in the classroom interacting with the class then just being pushed off to trial and error it on an online course. My professor of my online course seems like she has so much more to do than myother professors because she can only geth through to us via email or what she has alreayd put up on the course website. I can't say I feel bad for a professor in such a position. It comes with the territory and technology.
However I don't feel that the 24 hour response rule should be put into effect for professors. I know many of them get alot of emails, especially at midterms and finals. to respond to 50 in one day is alot to ask. Students also need to better monitor appropriate questions to email. As I have said before, a response is what many students just ask for.

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 12, 2006 9:59 PM

I agree that if a professor chooses to do things with a lot of technology than they have to expect students to be nervous and have questions and it's nice to know they will answer as long as we don't act like super-stalkers.

Posted by: Erin at September 14, 2006 10:05 PM