« Internet and organizations | Main | Kushner teaches stupid girl the hard way »

Jerz Smiley weblog

The idea tha Nobakov actually had the thought of a smiley in 1969 is yet another surprising thing to me. I guess there has always been a world wide need for emotion in important documents. I mean if a world leader thinks that there should be one thendoesnt that say something about how technology and society are so closely related. I guess i could see Bush using a smiley in some random document if he really needed to. I am just yet again surprised at who and when these smileys actually started being used.

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 5, 2006 5:46 PM

When I first started blogging here at SHU, the inaugural class of us had an interesting time with passionate posts--whether positive or negative.

A lot is missing from the written language, and this is why Plato had such a tough time dealing with it, since facial expressions and intonation, body language and personality are missing from texts.

Smileys were deigned appropriate on our blogs after a couple of misunderstandings. Some were actually pretty funny, if i recall correctly. I remember Dr. Jerz specifically saying that some posts "need smileys."

Posted by: Karissa at September 5, 2006 11:43 PM

Did I really say that? ;)

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 6, 2006 9:55 AM

Yes, you did. I searched NMJ for about 45 minutes in vain for the exact incident, but to no avail... You did say that, though.

Posted by: Karissa at September 7, 2006 10:07 PM