« webpage = scary | Main | Maturing Online »

MySpace - Social experiment

"For many teens, MySpace is the first asynchronous messaging system that they use regularly. Sure, they have emails but those are to communicate with parents/teachers/companies, not with friends. People check in daily to see what messages they get. This was starting to happen on Friendster, but server slowness killed this practice. This will make it quite tricky for teens to fully leave MySpace while their friends are still using it."

I think this article really looked at Myspace and Friendster as social experiements, rather than fad websites. the way Boyd explained the differences between the sites and the users who are on the them, I felt like i was learning more about how people react with eachother online. While I am not on and never have been on either of these websites, I have see the effects it has on people my age in a social aspect.
People my age do get on Myspace to find out about the opposite sex. People meet people and become attracted to the via the internet. I've also seen that it is a place where people of all kinds can be accepted into one community. the popular jock and the creepy goth kid can actually both be apart of a community of thousands of people. It is a new step in socializing for people in our generation. For many people out age, it is the only way to connect to people. I kno I only use email to communicate with professors or my parents, the rest of my communication is through facebook and iming. I've seen individuals glued to their computers for hours chaning their page or adding a video or song in hopes that their friends, or that certain someone, will notice and aknowledge their changes.
Myspace gives people a chanc to be a part of something big and popular no matter who they are, it's true. I noticed Boyd talking about how it is now a fad, how it has so many ways it can grow. I agree with him because with the amount of people who are really interested in this page, they will find their own ways to expand it.

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 19, 2006 3:02 PM

It's a smaller world in our big, big world. That's why I think people feel like it's okay to open up and be "themselves" (or whatever that means anymore...).

(Warning, I'm geeking-out in a grammatical sense below:)
The personal possessive pronoun "my" slammed next to "space" to form the title of the interface really confounds me. It relates to what Katie is talking about on her blog with the "personal needs" issue. When it's personal, I think it seems to last longer. But, as I said on Katie's blog, it'll die out eventually since personal needs change and ways to satiate those needs also change.

That "my" in MySpace is really the most important part of its success...

Posted by: Karissa at September 19, 2006 11:50 PM