« Ahhh the good old days of Paper | Main | what's the deal with email and professors »

"we have CEOs of major corporations who lack the basic writing skills to pen a simple, in-house memo in plain-spoken English. We see marketing swine get paid princely sums to lie about their products in language so bloated with jargon that their lies -- and even their half-truths -- are unintelligible. We see company flacks churning out impenetrable press releases that no editor in his right mind would consider reading, let alone using. We see business reporting reduced to the trite and formulaic because the reporter is either too uncritical or too lazy to take a hard look at what lies behind the smoke and mirrors"

I have experienced some of what Long is saying myself. My mother is a social worker and was a student at a liberal arts school like SHU years and years ago. My mother has interest in my journalism major because she complains that many of her own colleauges have little to no writing ability. She says that from going to such a college since she was required to write so much; she learned how to write well and better than most students at bigger universities. She has told me that knowing how to write is important in the world today at any job. I take her quite seriously, considering this woman is editing her own boss' reports.
having journalism as a major i have already had a flair for writing which is being fed more each year at SHU. I remember in my thinking and writing class last year. after a thorough session of peer editing i did think to myself, "Wow, like none of the students have that good of a writing ability." The funny thing was that several of them went to more private and prestigious high schools than I had come from. I think that the public needs to not only be exposed to good writing in all fields, but also needs to be taught early on that good grammar and writing ability is something that will help them in life. One would think that multi million dollar corporations would have a group of professional wiriters to write their press releases or that people in higher athourity would have better writing skill. The lasck of good writing skill in our scoeity is something that should now be looked at seriously

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 9, 2006 6:11 PM

No argument there, Rachel.

The other day I had a conversation with a successful businessman who said that in his opinion, everyone who goes to college should first major in English, and then after they've learned to communicate and think, go back to school now that they're ready to learn something else.

Of course you know I'm biased, but it was interesting hearing confirmation that the world outside of academia values the ability to communicate and think critically.

I've really enjoyed your comments about literacy and communication in class. Keep up the good work and spread the word!

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 10, 2006 5:08 PM