« You gotta crawl before you can walk | Main | A simple kind of page »

Style Is Everything, people

"People rarely read Web pages word by word; instead, they scan the page, picking out individual words and sentences"

As soon as I saw the title and the first sentence of this article I had to say to myself, "that's so right." How many time have you been at a website for a class or up late doing hwk and you scan through a website only looking for the most important information? It happens to everyone. I don't know if I've ever actually thought of how that connects with the design and writing of the web page. After reading Nielsen's article I can see how these designs are present online and how I have actually seen and past over the majority of them.
I find the promotional writing and scannable are the kinds of style I usually come across. Scannable is something that is just plain easier to understand in some cases. I believe that certain style of design and writing will work for certain subjects for websites. I mean the bolding and linking on this artilces site actually worked for the site. It made me look more closely at it and actually click one of the links. Writing style on the internet is much more efefctive to people then they think.

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 23, 2006 9:36 PM

I do the same thing-if a website isn't offering useful information or keeping my interest, I move on. What's the point of using the Internet if it takes twice as long to find information?

Posted by: Katie at September 25, 2006 1:14 AM