« EL 336 - natural handwriting | Main | EL 336 - Muse - chp 5. cross cultural collisions »

EL 336 - Homer and Sundiata

I do not have a specific quote to use for either of these writings. I found it surprisingly interesting that two texts performed/ written have such similarites. Sundiata's first version to me is much like Eagles version of the Illiad. I found the later versions that were more like a relateable book, easier to understand and follow. Something about their style of really speaking through a literature is easier for me to get. Performance sounding things like the 2nd version of Sundiata or the Lattimore version of the Illiad would not speak to me any differntly if I would have been right there at a performance.. Even reading the performance pieces versions speaks to me in a different form of writing then an actual story version does. It rubs me the wrong way, but does get to see how changes made, even if small, to a story that was both oral and print can effect the reader/listener.

Posted by RachelPrichard at February 4, 2008 12:08 AM

I found the J.W.J. version much harder to understand. At the same time, I felt much more immersed in the world in which the story took place. The D.T. Niane version was more comprehensible, but I think that parts of the story were lost in translation.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at February 4, 2008 6:52 PM

Ultimately, we are most comfortable dealing with a story communicated in a way familiar to us. Interestingly enough, as more and more methods of communication have been discovered, our tastes have diversified, leading to a constant ebb and flow in the transfer of information--there's an audience for nearly any message, in any medium.

Posted by: ChrisU at February 5, 2008 1:26 AM