« EL 336 - Calvino part 1 | Main | EL 336 - McLuhan 160 - 263 »

March 5, 2008

EL 336 - Calvino part 2

"Among your books, in this assortment that does not make up a library, a dead or dormant part can still be distinguished, which is the store of volumes put aside, books read and rarely reread, or books you have not and will not read but have still retainedn (and dusted) and then a living part, which is the books you are reading or plain to read from whcih you have not yet detached yourself or book you enjoy handling, seeing around you." (pg. 142)

Again Calvino digs into the deepest depths of the average reader reading this book for leisure. Even at mya ge I have these books at home. Being a student does not allow the biggest amount of time for reading at leisure, but I do understand what he means. It is another way books are part of people now. People put money and time into them with the hopes of having the time to enjoy these investments. But who really does get to enjoy all of them?

Posted by RachelPrichard at March 5, 2008 12:08 PM

I agree. Books are purchased as they are then taken home, only to be stored on a shelf until the reader's selfishness permits them to read it.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at March 5, 2008 9:28 PM

I have a bunch of books that I bought at Borders over the summer that I told myself I was going to read. Of course, with working two jobs, that didn't happen. Now they are just sitting, lokking important on my shelves.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at March 6, 2008 8:38 AM