« EL 336 - Orwell part 1 & 2 | Main | EL 336 - Aarseth 1- 4 »

March 31, 2008

EL 336 - Orwell (finish)

"His thoughts wandered again. Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust: 2+2=5 'They can't get inside you,' she had said. But they could get inside you."

Well in the end the bad guys win. It is a grim reality, but sometimes governments do get the best of society. Look at WWII, many of the tactics described in this book were based on Stalin and Hitlers propaganda techniques. It makes me wonder how people felt when the book first came out and they read the ending. Books with such a terrible and relatable plot as this, people hope the ending turns out to be a happy one. I wonder how it affected people in 1950?

Posted by RachelPrichard at March 31, 2008 12:30 AM

What a bleak ending. I wonder if there is a correlation between all these dystopic books like "Brave New World" and "1984" that were written around the same time. Did it have something to do with the Soviets and Nazis? I think that Orwell was maybe predicting what the world would be like if the Soveits or Nazis had won.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at April 1, 2008 11:15 AM