« EL 336 - Orwell (finish) | Main | Portfolio 2 »

April 2, 2008

EL 336 - Aarseth 1- 4

"The activity of hypertext reading is often portrayed, in contrast to codex reading, as a kind of co-authorhsip, with the reader creating her own text as she goes along. This idea has doen much to promote the myth of hypertext as a better 'tool for the mind' than the older writing technologies." ( Aarseth p 77-78)

I feel that reading hypertext is just as education as reading a textbook. To most students of all ages, hypertext is the new textbook. I feel, when I am reading something online, that I can go back and reread things alot easier than reading a book. I can find what information is most useful to me faster it seems.

Posted by RachelPrichard at April 2, 2008 7:41 PM

I am the complete opposite. I hate reading hypertext, it makes my eyes hurt. I love the feel of a book.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at April 2, 2008 9:23 PM

Yes, it is faster. But I agree with Jeremy. My eyes hurt if I stare at a screen for too long. I have to print the article out first. It's great to have links to other information though. For this past paper, a link at the bottom of one of the EbscoHost articles led me to an entire journal database that I didn't even know existed.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at April 3, 2008 12:01 PM

I don't mind reading certain things online--news articles, movie reviews, Wikipedia entries, etc.--but when it comes to reading fiction, I still prefer the printed book.

Posted by: ChrisU at April 29, 2008 10:10 AM