« EL 336 - Turkle | Main | EL 336 Presentation for 4/9 - Media and the Remix/Redo »

April 6, 2008

EL 336 - Chp 5; 8-9

"But there are works that put their users in either-or mode; either you see it or you don't"
(pg. 180)

Though the author goes on to talk about those 3D image posters from the early 90's. You know if you stare at it long a enough, a picture shows. I found that I could take that to how I relate to this interactive fiction world. With some of the games I experienced in Writing for the Internet, I had very wavering feelings about them. I could see myself getting into some of them if I could just figure out the secret to getting unstuck. I would type an action into "Hitchhikers Guide..." and I would get super denied or die. I thought that things would be a bit easier and it would defintley would make it more fun. I'm sure if I were an expert on this genre of games, I'd have a less either - or outlook, cause the have the potential to be fun for non players.

Posted by RachelPrichard at April 6, 2008 10:54 PM

I agree. The negative aspect of those games are when you get stuck, you paint yourself into a corner. I sort of touched on this in my blog, it sort of moves you in a linear fashion. I want the freedom to move wherever I want. If I want my player to go to the bathroom, I want the character to zip up their pants after they're finished. I guess I do not understand them as much I think I do.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at April 7, 2008 10:07 PM

I remember those pictures. i would get a heachache and get cross-eyed before I saw the result. I have not had Writing for the Internet yet, but I am sure I will be frought with frustration when I do. I still happen to be at the same place in my Zelda game that I was 6 years ago. Yes Jeremy, I hate being painted into a corner because you have to go out and buy the cheat book. and even that doesn't work 100% of the time

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at April 8, 2008 12:20 PM