« EL 336 Presentation for 4/9 - Media and the Remix/Redo | Main | EL 336 - Kirschenbaum Chp 3 »

April 14, 2008

EL 336 - Kirschenbaum chp 1 and 2

"At a practical level this means working with hard drives and other storage media in the field and in controlled laboratory settings to locate files, metadata, or fragments of files that someone may or may not have taken active steps to expunge, and creating the conditions necessary to ensure that the data has not been tampered with in the process of its recovery or analysis." (Kirschenbaum pg 46)

The beginning of this book makes me think of how police have to sometiems go into someones computers to get files and information for crimes. All that "To Catch a Predator" kind of stuff of online chats, pictures, etc. It really is like reading into a different language when you work with a hard drive. Computer Forensics sounds like an important job that the average person like me has never reallylooked closely into.

Posted by RachelPrichard at April 14, 2008 12:01 PM

I think that it is fascinating. They think they have wiped the slate clean, but the dreaded IP address and recovery tactics come back to bite them. You don't want anything on your computer that you would be ashamed of. I've erased limewire dozens of times from my computer, but it always reappears in applications, running programs, or some other section. Computer foresics seems to be a booming field. People are foolish to think that there is a way to commit the perfect crime. There is always a trace left behind, visible to the avergae human eye or not.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at April 14, 2008 8:56 PM

I really find computer forensics interesting as well. You would think with the popularity of television shows like NCIS and CSI that there would be one completely devoted to computer crimes and the study of hard drives.

I have seen “To Catch A Predator” more times then I can count. Interestingly enough I recently read about a new kind of software that was showcased at an invention convention that allows a person to scan e-mails to tell whether they are from someone that is actually the gender they are claiming to be.

The e-mail analyzer will determine whether the person you meet in the chat room is not a man pretending to be a woman or the other way around. The computer program developed by a Malaysian university professor analyzes e-mails according to the number of words, exclamation marks, emotions and compliments to determine if the sender is male or female.

Women tend to be more expressive than men, said Dianne Cheong Lee Mei, but she refused to go into detail about how the program unveils the gender of the unseen Internet partner. Now that is something to think about.

Posted by: Leslie Rodriguez at April 15, 2008 10:33 AM

I agree with you all, it's funny how criminals think that Internet related crimes are infallible. On the contrary, I would think that it is easier to trace and solve crimes deeply involving technology than say even a petty theft.

My dad came home from work recently up in arms because he'd lost pages upon pages of the reviews he'd typed up for his material damage adjusters (he's a supervisor for Erie insurance). There were about 10 of them I believe. He was determined to find them--I think the computer shut down, I can't remember--and I just kept thinking to myself that there was no way he'd recover them. Sure enough, he came home the next day all smiles because he'd found them after rooting through back-up files and such. I gave him credit, I would have thought it was a lost cause and began typing again. He certainly has a lot more patience than I do.

Posted by: Stormy at April 15, 2008 12:39 PM

We studied digital forensics briefly in my Intro to Forensics class last semester, but we never really got into much detail about how information is retrieved. I imagine it's much like being a hacker--the key is knowing how to access information on a computer.

Posted by: ChrisU at April 15, 2008 2:00 PM

Sidebar: I always really thought it would be cool to be a hacker after seeing the appropriately named film "Hackers" starring Angelina Jolie.

Posted by: Leslie Rodriguez at April 18, 2008 2:08 PM