« EL 336 - Kirschenbaum Chp 3 | Main | Baio blog response »

April 14, 2008

EL 336 - Kirschenbaum (Finish)

"Transmit is from the Latin mittere: to send. But what do we really mean when we talk about transmitting-sending and receiving- a written text?" (Kirschenbaum pg 215)

To me, when someone says "I was texting Bill" or "I'll just text her" it is as if they are saying "I'll just tap so and so on the shoulder and we'll have a chat." I do not look at texting in the technical terms of transmission or sending and receiving. To me it is as communicative as actually talking to someone face to face. ( how bout that?) I think to an older generation, the word texting may seem more technological and advanced. Again it goes back to looking at this type of communication as infromation sharing or just conversating.

Posted by RachelPrichard at April 14, 2008 12:19 PM

I don't think texting will ever be known for its meaningful conversations. It's more of a way to quickly let someone know where you're going to meet for lunch. It serves its purpose.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at April 19, 2008 4:25 PM

When I think about transmission I immediately think of the brain and how we have these messages sent to us every day via the brain. So does that mean that the brain is the most complex mechanism? I don't know if it really fits that definition though.

In regard to txting and meaningful conversation (brought up by Kayla): I believe the exact opposite. I know people that only have serious talks via txt in the same way they do via email.

Posted by: Leslie Rodriguez at April 21, 2008 4:54 PM

I don't think the "older" generation wold even understand what it is, I know my mom doesn't. True, when you say that we think of it in cellular terms or anything else electronically communicated. I was sort of put out by it as well. The sections on text were more theoretical than materialistic. Theory is difficult to comprehend unless you really want to know how something works.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at April 21, 2008 9:59 PM