« EL 336 - Chp 5; 8-9 | Main | EL 336 - Kirschenbaum chp 1 and 2 »

April 9, 2008

EL 336 Presentation for 4/9 - Media and the Remix/Redo

The art of the Remix
Intro
Today we use downloads on the internet to laugh , learn, and work. Whatever we download gets usually gets our attention. Look at the world of you tube and pod casts. Though we could find some of the information in print, it has been redone to meet our needs in the new age. Finding a way to deliver a message to get the publics attention

O Say Can You See?

When I first looked at the subject of the“Star-Spangled Banner” I thought about the historical aspect of it that most people know. Written by Francis Scott Key, it was originally a poem written as he watched Fort McHenry in Baltimore come under attack by The Royal Navy. The words were inspired by the sight of the American flag still flying over Fort McHenry the morning after the attack.

This patriotic and political image spoke to Key in such a way that he scribbled the poem down on the back of a letter. The poem went on to be published in many papers on the east coast, and sent a message of “we are still standing” to the people of this early time in our country.

The funny thing was that this was just poem people were reading. Key eventually decided it should be set to the tune of music. In particular, to the music of a popular British drinking song called “To Ancreon in Heaven. AKA “the Ancreontic Song.” It was the anthem of a men’s music club/society.

The Remix in Present Society
Key was one of the first examples of using the concept of redoing or remixing a message to get people’s attention. He used the form of a ballad to deliver a political message. Though this example was more of an oral culture form of the theory, we can look at how the same concept is used today.

One example is the democratic election going on right now. With this election attracting more and more younger voters and campaign people, the culture of the internet has become highly involved. Myspace, youtube, facebook and the photosphere have all done their part in taking the message both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton to a new medium.

Examples:

Will I Am of The Black Eyed Peas music video inspired by Obama’s New Hampshire primary speech

article on videe

Professional Blog- CNN - political ticker on Hillary Clinton - Public discussion on Hillary Clinton’s politics

Saturday Night Live Skits that have parodied election

- I could not find the Saturday Night Live skit that parodied one of their debates and suggested that the media is biased to Obama, but I do have an example of how it got the attention of Hillary Clinton

The Olympic Torch Protests

Online News

Personal Blogs

Conclusion

What I wanted to do on this blog for the class, was show how the concept of the remix is a key in politics now. The media has adapted to the digital age and to it’s audience to be able to get their attention and keep it. Not only are they looking for the attention of the reader, they are now looking at the interactive part. With the news giving the public the power to comment and watch different pieces of news, they are helping the concept of the remix adapt and advance.

* There will be more of a class discussion on Thursday so please read and look at some of this stuff*

Posted by RachelPrichard at April 9, 2008 3:23 PM

I find that most of the political stuff on youtube is satire and parody.

Maybe Francis put the words to that song so people would be more conditioned to remember his words.

Youtube and blogs have become informal forums for politicsl debate and discussion, but my question is this: does anybodyw listen to the comments, taking them to heart? what good is a voice if no one pays attention to it?

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at April 9, 2008 11:48 PM

I'm a huge fan of political satire (I love, love, love Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert). It's strange, because I usually don't take a huge interest in politics; the humor, though, makes it much more interesting to me.

Posted by: ChrisU at April 10, 2008 8:27 AM

At the writing teachers' conference I attended last week, one of the speakers mentioned in passing that today's college students are more politically aware than they were in a previous generation, mostly because of the amount of politics that appears in comedy and satire shows.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 10, 2008 8:36 AM

I agree, Chris. I'm not a politically oriented person at all yet I'm an avid watcher of Colbert and Stewart as well.

I think the parodying of politics did catch the attention of a different audience because often those who are disinterested in the political world are those who find it overly-dramatic and dysfunctional. Political figures make it easy for us to parody them, and easy for us to laugh at parody's of them because often we find more truth in the messages of the parodies than the messages of the politicians.

I had never thought of Key translating the poem into a song to capture another audience--I always just figured that he thought it would be a good idea and gave it a shot. Haha, I'm such a simpleton sometimes. Obviously though, his attempt to reach more people worked.

Posted by: Stormy Knight at April 10, 2008 2:43 PM