« EL 336 - Portfolio 3 | Main | EL 405 - Compare of two inform 7 games »

EL 405 - The Blender Experience

Wow...about 3 minutes ago I reached a new level of embarrassment. Now since I have posted my screencast on youtube, I can see why people get made fun of for being on the site.
When I was in class working with blender on my own, I was more frustrated than embarrassed. I found it hard to manipulate shapes and make them like the things I was seeing in the tutorials. In the end, it seemed that the simple was the way to go for me. So duplicating, rotating, and the different views were the way I decided to go.
I think what helped me with blender was watching the "quick and dirty" 10 minute tutorial of the basics. From that I was able to pick out what my strong points were and, more importantly, what I could remember to do myself.
I think once I got into figuring out my actual tutorial I was more comfortable with some of the specific aspects of blender. It just took some time.

Posted by RachelPrichard at September 11, 2008 2:32 PM

You did some incredible things with that monkey. The translate manipulator mode was very new to me.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at September 11, 2008 2:52 PM

good screencast. I remember how relieved I was to fnally be able to manipulate objects. It turns out that all I was doing wrong was clicking with the left mouse button instead of the right. Slight voice skipping in the video, but otherwise good.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at September 11, 2008 3:00 PM

Watch your language.
Just kidding.

I loved the blue monkey.
And for the record, it really sounded like you knew what you were talking about. It shows that you are comfortable with the program and that's great!

Awesome job

Posted by: Tiffany Gilbert at September 11, 2008 3:01 PM

It seems that you and I had the same ideas. I did, though, like the faqct that you focused on the object and color. I generalized and focused on the navigation aspect of it.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at September 11, 2008 3:18 PM