Blatantly Obvious...And i Loved It!

So, after reading every book in this course, I can honestly say that this was my favorite.  It kept me intrigued from the moment I began until I ended.  In fact, I was hoping that it wouldn't end, because I just wanted to keep reading.  I realize that this might sound strange.  I mean, the novel wasn't exceptionally well-known and it certainly wasn't a classic.  But, what made this novel unique from others in the course is that it didn't have any hidden undertones.  It was blatantly obvious in its depiction of how society would react to a modern day Jesus.  

From the many blogs which I have written throughout this course, I find that the main topic in which I am interested is religion, specifically, the Catholic faith.  In Resurrection Blues, there was no need to close-read to find religious characters in the novel.  Rather, the entire plot throughout the novel portrayed Ralph as a modern-day Jesus.  The "magic" which Ralph performed, his dedicated followers, and the many people who wanted to see him crucified, was purposefully and obviously paralled to Jesus' own life.

Did anyone else enjoy the obvious aspect of the novel?  Did you find this one more enjoyable to read because it was less thinking and easier to "go with the flow"?

Joshua wilks said:

I also liked this novel, though i'm not sure that it was my favorite... When I started reading it i just sat until i finished it, it was certainly an easy read which is probably good at this point in the semester. However I think I liked it because even though it seemed to focus on religion I didnt think that was the primary message. It has more to do with flaws in human nature and of course the obvious message of materialism.

Your blog interested me because when I read the book I noticed everything was blatant, straight-forward, in my face but the fact that this was the only book that was like it never clicked until right now. I’ve enjoyed many of your blogs because they have been about religion and they make me further my knowledge in religion. Knowing things about Jesus definitely helped me throughout this book and the parallels that she talks about. It was just a good book, with a lot to learn from it. And I think going along with this book and Christ-figures that only one person is Christ and always will be. No one else can pretend to be Him or be Him.

I actually didn't like this aspect of the play. I really appreciated the dark humor, but I found it kind of boring that it delivered one simple message that was easy to grasp. I kind of think that's the enemy of good art. Good art should really spark conversations and get debates started, it shouldn't force-feed you one message that's easy for everybody to understand and can't be argued against. It's kind of like how our papers are supposed to have non-obvious claims. Theatre especially is an art form that is very affected by the audience; I prefer plays that really engage you intellectually while telling a really strong emotional story. This play for the most part had interesting characters, but it didn't really get me thinking the way I would expect from a great work of literature.

Rebecca Marrie said:

Josh-you're right, this book was undoubtedly an easy read, but I did find it well worth my time. It wasn't a pointless novel - Resurrection Blues had substance! I do agree with you're materialism take on the novel. I feel like this work was a nice combo of religion and materialism, too seemingly different but yet incredibly connected concepts.

Chelsea - Thanks so much! I'm really glad you've enjoyed my blogs. I am incredibly interested in religion and I find that no matter what I read I will find religious connotations in it. But, fortunately, this novel did not force me to search for religion in the novel, rather, it blatantly provided it for me.

Matt - I would beg to differ in your argument. I do not believe one particular message was force-fed throughout the novel. I thought that the reader had to decide on his or her own what the message was. And, consequently, the message can be interpreted in a numerous ways.