Eloquence in Invisible Man

In his essay, Hanlon compares Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Eloquence" and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.  I must admit, at first glance I had thought that this essay would be about the use of eloquence in Elllison's novel.  It surprised me deeply to find that "Eloquence" was actually an essay written by Emerson.  I was legitimately disturbed that the Hanlon was comparing to works, for, as it seems to me, no other reason than the fact that the authors names are incredibly similar.

However, once I got passed the seemingly shallow reasoning for writing an article such as this, I was able to actually enjoy it.  This article was a much easier read than the last assigned one and I felt like I understood the majority of it.  

"Emerson's model of spoken composition, proceeding from the recognition that every hstener is also a potential speaker ("How many orators sit mute there below!" [1903-04, 7. 63]), also captures the most charged moments of eloquence to appear in Ralph Ellison's Inuisible Man, a novel that measures the self-reliance of its nameless protagonist through his growing acumen as a public speaker."

This quote seems to relate both works by using a common concept of both, nameless speakers.  In the Invisible Man, the narrator makes himself known through his words, not through who he actually is.  

Though this was undeniably still difficult to read, made significantly more sense than the last essay.