Always Unsatisfied with this Burning Desire

"'A body and a spirit,' he repeated. 'The body, lady, is like a house: it don't go anywhere; but the spirit, lady, is like a automobile, always on the move, always...'" (O'Conner 57).

When I read this passage, I thought of how all of us as human beings have a spirituality that drives us toward our desires, whether it be one or many. When he says that his spirit is always moving, I think that means that he is never satisfied. We are all like that. We're truly never satisfied. We have a desire within us and what we do with it is exactly our spirituality. Also, what we do with our spirituality affects our bodies. We could hurt, help, or heal them with our spirituality.

Erica Gearhart said:

Richelle, I absolutely agree with you that Mr. Shiftlet is constantly wandering and is never satisfied. I also addressed this idea in my blog at http://blogs.setonhill.edu/EricaGearhart/2008/02/fate_and_raindrops.html

I really like how you talk about his spirituality. I looked at it from a different perspective, but I love how you describe spirituality.