News Writing with Richelle

I have learned alot from Dr. Jerz's Newswriting course because I used to think I already knew how to write news articles and that it didn't really involve any real technique. I was definitely proven wrong. I wrote for my high school newspaper, so I came into the class thinking, "I've done this before." I know now that I actually had not done this before. I have learned to make sure to use active verbs, and that a good lead usually starts off with the main subject and verb. It's also been helpful when we are given a word limit because in the real news writing world, I could be given a story to cover and be told I will only have a quarter of a page. The most important thing I think I have gotten out of this class so far is that I actually am starting to enjoy news writing, and I have also seen how news writing can sometimes tie in with essay writing. This connection is helpful because I am an English-creative writing major so I am constantly writing academically.

Coverage- these are all of my blogs I covered. (The first ten are included on the specific sections of the course website because I was unable to use the Seton Hill blog website at those points.)

Comparing Clark and Scanlon's newswriting tips vs. Tribune Review - This was my first blog for the class. We had to read pages 287-294 of Clark and Scanlon's book America's Best Newspaper Writing, as well as the cover page of the August 25, 2009 issue of the Tribune Review. The assignment was to study the format of the cover page and choose a story to compare to what Clark and Scanlon said in these assigned pages.

TV News - For this blog, I wrote about WTAE's 30 minute news coverage. I talked about how much of the program was actual news and how the news was presented. I also compared WTAE's reporter job description with that of what a journalist's characteristics include.

Famous Person Dying = News - I wrote about a comic strip that showed news reporters coming up with a story and how this comic reflects actual news.

Ew, Onions - I wrote about the Onion, a fake TV news station, and its story on Haiti. I watched the video and commented on my reactions, which involved me at first not being able to believe this was an actual news broadcast; I had never heard of the Onion before.

What TV News Doesn't Want Us to Know - For this blog, I read two of Byron's articles, and then chose another one to read on my own. The first article was saying that the news is ratings driven, and the second article discussed TV news reporters being actors, not journalists. The article I chose to read independently was saying that local stations don't really cover the news. 

Newswriting as a Guide for my English writing - For this blog, we compared the similarities and differences between news writing and essay writing. I talked about how these comparisons were helpful for me.

Dr. Seuss - We read pages 164-174 of Clark and Scanlon's book, which featured an article on Dr. Seuss. My blog discusses the reporter's writing.

Sample Profile - I blogged about a profile we read. I talked about how I liked the quotes and the style of writing. 

My Relationship with the News - For this first exercise, I discussed how I have connected with the news and described my relationship with the news.

Obituary - For this blog, we read pages 70-72 of Clark and Scanlon's book, which featured an obituary. I blogged about how this was helpful to read and on how the reporter presented this person.

Poor Baby Ducks - We read a second profile and I blogged about how the opening lines of the profile were about baby ducks that ultimately would be used for the quality food of the woman's restaurant.

Newswriting Tips Help with Essay Writing - I blogged about our reading on Chapter 1 and 2 of Cappon's The Associated Press Guide to News Writing.

Newwswriting as Practice for Academic and Literary Writing - I blogged on our reading of Clark and Scanlon's book, pages 294-302.

Surprising But Helpful - For this blog, I read about some rules for copy editing, and corrected bad examples of news writing.

Why A Filler? - I blogged about why I don't think "bus plunge" stories should be used as fillers, and that they are real, actual news regardless of how many times they occur.

Peru vs. Kathmandu - I compared two bus plunge stories: one occurring in Peru, and the other in Kathmandu.

Depth - these are blogs in which I wrote in depth, and really provoked questions and answers for myself.

TV News

Surprising but Helpful

Why a Filler?

Ew, Onions

Interaction

Lettuce is to Lunch What a "Bus Plunge" Story is to Journalism: A Filler - I commented on Jeanine's blog about the bus plunge story.

Here ducky, ducky, ducky. I'm going to kill you. - This is Angela's blog on the second sample profile on the quality restaurant food on which I commented.

When writing, SHOW don't just TELL - I commented on Derek's blog on Cappon, Chapters 1 and 2. And for some reason, the link isn't pasting to his title. So, here is the link to his blog: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DerekTickle/2009/09/when_writing_show_dont_just_te.html 

Discussions

Poor Baby Ducks

Newswriting Tips Help with Essay Writing

Why a Filler?

Peru vs. Kathmandu

Timeliness - I was always pretty much on time with my blogs, but these are ones I would say I was a little more early with.

Ew, Onions

Dr. Seuss

Poor Baby Ducks

Why a Filler?

Xenoblogging

Here ducky, ducky, ducky. I'm going to kill you.

Is This Alright?

Lettuce is to Lunch What a "Bus Plunge" Story is to Journalism: A Filler

Wildcard

TV News - this blog is one of my blogs that are on the course web page because at that point, I was not able to use the Seton Hill blog website yet.