Surprising but helpful

What I thought was most surprising and helpful was the section on how to include dates. I've seen that a lot of my peers feel the same way. I'm not sure I understand why some months need to be abbreviated and others do not depending on whether the date is included or it's just the month being mentioned. But, it was helpful to read this because this information will be useful for my future news writing. I also never knew that you should not include "Dr." when referring to a professor. That seems like that would be a part of their title, and something that should be included since it shows they have gone through a lot of schooling and hard work. Basically, it is something to be proud of so that was surprising to hear/read. I used to be confused as to whether you should use "says" or "said." I understand why "said" is correct, and am glad that I finally have that clarified.

As for what was wrong the examples, here are my answers:

Assistant news editor Anne O'Nymous read the article.

"I really appreciate her work ethic and problem-solving ability," Jameson said.

Spunky Inkworthy wrote for The Setonian this year, and obituaries news editor Lazarus O'Mortigan complimented Spunky's contributions.

Head librarian Marian Paroo discussed Inkworthy's contributions over the phone.

"Here is a quote," freshman Bill Jones said.

(Although you should never include someone saying "here is a quote," because that is redundant and doesn't show anything.)