Unidentified

The first breaking news story I found for the News Cycle assignment was from the Chicago Tribune. The story was very short and definitely a very rough draft because of its short length and a few errors, such as the repetition of "said." This is understandable, though, because quotes from witnesses or officials are the only sources of information obtainable at this moment. The "quotes" weren't even actual quotes because they were just stated by the reporter without quotation marks. I think this story will be ongoing since the victim hasn't been fully described and an autopsy awaits. Also, the suspected criminal has not been identified. 

The second breaking news story I selected was from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, my local newspaper. This story involves two men getting arrested for informing others on Twitter about their G-20 protest. It's written pretty well, with few errors. This story is newsworthy because it seems uncommon for people to get arrested for something they post on their Facebook or Twitter page. I could see if it were a bomb threat or something, but this story just seems a bit uncommon. It's also newsworthy because it affects everyone. Many people have Facebook or Twitter pages and post opinions, thoughts, etc. everyday. 

I found another article today about the G-20 protest (however, this article is also from yesterday, October 5, and from the TV news station KDKA) that states "more charges could be forthcoming." This shows that the story probably will be ongoing.  

Richelle, don't forget to post the link back to the course web page.

Richelle Dodaro said:

Thanks for the reminder, Dr. Jerz. I added in the link to an added sentence, but it's not showing up yet for some reason.

Richelle Dodaro said:

Never mind. Now it's working.

Kaitlin Monier said:

Your first story seems like it could continue when a suspect is identified. The second story is an interesting one to chose. I would have never thought people could be arrested for what they wrote on their twitter. Just that part seems newsworthy, but with all of the G-20 protests, the story will probably continue in some way.

Jeanine O'Neal said:

Good analysis of the articles!

Did you hear about the protestors who interupted Dan Onorato's speech yesterday (October 6th)? That is what I am doing my News Cycle Assignment about. You can check it out if you'd like:

Dan Onorato's Campaign: Tracking a news story as it unfolds

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JeanineONeal/2009/10/dan_onoratos_campaign_tracking.html

Richelle Dodaro said:

Hey Jeanine, no I didn't hear about that! That sounds interesting and definitely newsworthy. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.