Third Step in Appreciating News Writing

It truly is unbelievable that it is time for our third portfolio for Newswriting. Over these past three to four months, I have struggled with news writing, related it to my other English courses, and have come to appreciate it. It has helped me in that I believe I am a more specific writer due to word limits and encouragement to use active rather than passive verbs. I've struggled with not writing in chronological order when I have covered an event, such as Dr. Stephan Jacob's "Holocaust and Genocide: What's in a Name?" speech during the Holocaust Education Conference at Seton Hill. Overall, I have developed a more positive attitude towards this course and news writing in general. However, it is still not my prefered style of writing or occupation. So, here is a list of my blogs during this part of the semester dealing with coverage, depth, interaction, discussions, and timeliness.

Coverage

Unidentified - I searched for two breaking news stories that I thought would be ongoing stories.

I Like This - I discussed why I enjoy editorials. 

Reality in Journalism - I blogged about how news writing is a learning experience for the readers and writers, and keeping readers in mind while reporting a story.

Hard Work - I argued for both sides of the news writing world - the journalists and the public.

You Can Never Know Too Much - I liked how editors and journalists still take classes to further their knowledge on news writing and reporting.

Depth

You Can Never Know Too Much 

Hard Work

Unidentified

Interaction

Following Breaking News 1 - I commented on Kaitlin's blog about the ongoing breaking news stories.

They Have to Make the Right Mistakes - I commented on Katie's blog concering drafts.

Sorry Mom - I commented on Aja's blog regarding how some people immediately believe everything they hear in the news.  

Discussions - fellow classmates commented on my blogs, listed below.  

Unidentified

Reality in Journalism

You Can Never Know Too Much

Timeliness

You Can Never Know Too Much

Unidentified

Xenoblogging

Sorry Mom

Wildcard

Reality in Journalism

Hard Work