Freedom of press is like talking with your friends

Before I wrote my blog, I read Jeanine's blog and the comments left on hers and it really made me understand why I sometimes get so annoyed with newspapers. I'm not sure if I feel like newspapers and news media aren't necessary because I do want to know what's going on around me. Word of mouth, as Jeanine mentioned, definitely does help us become informed, to a certain extent, though. It makes me think of the game "telephone" we would play in gradeschool. Once you got to the last person, the story was almost completely off. I just wanted to talk about that briefly.

Regarding the Haiman reading, the argument over the freedom of the press is very interesting to me because to me, freedom of the press reflects our own personal freedom of speech. We have opinions; we are biased; we have different interests. Those facts are what, obviously, makes all the unique journalists who may upset or please the next person who reads their article or editorial. Isn't that how our daily speech is? We like what our friends say, sometimes we don't We shouldn't beat them up over it (figuratively speaking, of course).

However, I understand there is a difference between freedom of the press and how we freely speak with those around us. With newspaper, TV, etc. more people with more views and experiences are reading and viewing it. Someone is bound to be offended. The only way that I can say the press has too much freedom is if they print stories with facts that are false. We discussed this issue in class awhile ago. Even if it was unintentional for these false facts to be published, they still were, which will most likely outrage some people. Overall, I don't have much of a problem with the news. Maybe it's because I really don't pay attention to it unless it has something to do with this class. One last thing, after reading this, the press definitely should have responsibilities. Newspapers, news stations, etc. are businesses, and as with other businesses, they serve a purpose and have specific responsibilites.