Portfolio 4

I can't believe that it is the end of this course, let alone the semester! It's been a great experience in terms of new knowledge and writing styles. I definitely have been able to incorporate the clear, concise, relevant, etc. style of news writing to my academic writing. It's definitely important to be specific and clear when writing academically, so this helped me foster these skills. This course has been a challenge in some ways for me because it's something I was not used to. Overall, it has been helpful to me.

Coverage

Invite the Whole Community - in this blog, I discuss why it is important to invite the community to local meetings regarding the news.

Like the Movies - I compare investigative journalism to the movies, and explain why I would not want to work in this kind of field.

In Their Hands - I blogged about the video from The New York Times website that featured inmates from a South Carolina prison playing with cards that had faces of people involved in unsolved homicides or missing reports.

All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten - I talked about the connection between the news and sensitivity.

Good Information and Reminders, not Great Webpage - I discuss a website that displays information about recycling and garbage.

Distractions, Not Useful Help from the Internet - I explain why the "Wired" website is not helpful and an eyesore.

Flashback - I compare The Harvard Crimson to The New York Times.

Attention-grabber to boring and without balance - I discuss the Cavalier Daily.

Freedom of Press is like talking with your friends - I blogged about why freedom in the press is important, but also discuss its disadvantages.

Depth

In Their Hands

Like the Movies

Freedom of Press is like talking with your friends

Distractions, not Useful Help from the Internet

Interaction

The Backbone of Investigative Journalism

Click here for...click here for...

Some comic-book wisdom for the ages

The Danger of Preconception

Discussion

All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten - Aja commented on this blog of mine, and I responded to her comment.

Like the Movies - Derek, Angela, Greta, and Wendy commented on my blog.

In Their Hands - Jeanine and Aja commented on my blog.

Timeliness

Like the Movies

All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Good information and reminders, not great webpage

Distractions, not useful help from the Internet

Freedom of Press is Like talking with your Friends

Xenoblogging - The Link Gracious

Distractions, not useful help from the Internet - One of Angelas's wording helped me to understand how the website we observed made me feel.

Freedom of Press is like Talking with Your Friends - Jeanine's blog provoked a thought for me.

Wildcard

Like the Movies