« | Main | Oedipus and Macbeth »

Oedipus' Fate

Oedipus: Ah! Ah! Where has this misery brought me? Is this my own voice I hear - carried on the wings of the air? Oh Fate! What have you done to me?

Once again this play could be completely different depending on what you believe. Was it fate or was it the decisions of Laius and Jocasta's that led to this? I think it leans more towards fate because even though Oedipus was away he still ended up killing his father and marrying his mother. On the other hand if they hadn't sent him away he would have known who his real parents were. Maybe it it's the shepard's fault for not finishing his job.

Posted by SeanRunt at September 27, 2005 10:22 PM

I believe it was all fate. Fate determines everything that happens in life. I dont know whether or not it was the sheperds fault for not finshing the job, but even if he did finish the job, it would have been exactly the same.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 27, 2005 11:17 PM

I agree with the whole fate thing. I agree with how Denamarie said that fate determines everything in your life. I also would link that to destiny with how you said that if they hadn't sent him away he would have never known his real parents. I think he was destined to be sent away and his fate ended him in that state.

Posted by: Danielle at September 28, 2005 5:13 AM