« ? | Main | Newswriting »

Shakespeare in the Bush

Bohannon, "Shakespeare in the Bush" -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

"No doubt in your country the dead can als walk without being zombis." From the depth of his bag he produced a withered fragment of kola nut, bit off one end to show it wasn't poisoned, and handed me the rest as a peace offering.

This passage is so great it shows the patience of the old man when the writter was getting angry at them for not understanding he quickly showed him there was no hard feelings. I think it shows the respect they had for one another. I really enjoyed this essay I thought it was a wonderfully different look at Shakespeare that you could only get one place on earth.

Posted by SeanRunt at October 27, 2005 8:50 PM

Sean,

Good points. I never thought about this this way. It definitely is indicative of the perspectives of Africa, that we could only get from someone who visited there.

And about the koala nut, that must be a huge peace offering in Africa nations because we discussed that as an olive-branch in World Literature as well.

Good work, Sean!

Posted by: KatieAikins at October 29, 2005 5:17 PM

Whereas, sterotypically, Americans are considered selfish and judgemental of other cultures, this African tribe is patient and understanding about the "errors" and differences of the two cultures.

Posted by: Katie Lambert at October 31, 2005 9:08 PM

My one question about this is the chief's sincerity. I know that if people are having a good time, and making fun of someone, they have to encourage that person to continue what their doing somehow. Otherwise, the entertainment goes away. If you dare someone to do something, don't you have to offer them some reward?

Posted by: David Denninger at November 3, 2005 10:28 AM