« The Future, Present, and Past | Main | Portfolio »

Move!

Williams, The Glass Menagerie (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

TOM:...You know what happens? People go to the movies instead of moving! Hollywood characters are supposed to have all the adventures for everybody in America, while everybody in America sits in a dark room and watches them have them!

I think this shows Tom's frustration with the situation he is in. I think he is on the verge at this moment, he is ready to go. He is so sick of seeing everyone else live the life that he wants to live and he just wants out.
At the end when he leaves you almost feel happy for him, happy that he was able to leave. On the other hand you sit there and wonder how he is able to leave his family behind, especially his sister. You can understand his need to get away from his mother for a little but I don't think if I was in his situation I would be able to turn my back on my sibling.

Posted by SeanRunt at November 2, 2005 3:27 PM

Yeah, I think his leaving was best for everyone. If he would have stayed, he would have made everyone miserable. Sure, Amanda and Laura will have to work a bit harder. Besides, maybe Tom will send them some of his earnings.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at November 2, 2005 8:38 PM

Exactly. I feel the same way. I understand his need to leave, believe me I do. I was in a similar situation this past summer. However, that is still his family! That is still his helpless sister. Okay, you need to go, go. But couldn't he at least be a man and make sure that they were SOMEWHAT provided for? Maybe pay one last electricity bill? It made me angry.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at November 3, 2005 12:07 PM