« Newswriting | Main | Move! »

The Future, Present, and Past

Williams, The Glass Menagerie (Scenes 1-5) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

AMANDA: You are the only young man that I know of who ignores the fact that the future becomes the present, the present the past, and the past turns into everlasting regret if you don't plan for it!

I really haven't liked Amanda at all through the first five scenes but this line by her is so great. It is probably the only bright or smart thing she has said the entire time. Most of the time she seems ignorant and senseless but at this particular moment in the play she seems much more wiser than she is. I hope there is more lines like that to come from her.

Posted by SeanRunt at November 1, 2005 12:33 PM

I thought the very same thing when I read this line, Sean. I really thought she made a lot of sense when she said this in comparison to many of the other comments she has made throughout the play so far. I think it is wise of her to want to plan in order to avoid regretting anything later on. Although, sometimes she perhaps tries to hard to control things or she makes a big deal out of things that really aren't.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 1, 2005 12:51 PM

I can see Amanda knowing a bit about regreting the past. She constantly brings up the man she chose to marry out of all her gentlemen callers.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at November 1, 2005 1:06 PM

I think that this is a great line as well Sean. At the end of the play you see that Tom ends up leaving and chosing HIS OWN FUTURE. Sean, she just really wants the best for her kids and doesnt want them regretting things that happened in the past like what happened to her and her husband; or shall i say ex-husband.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 1, 2005 1:46 PM

I also love this line. I can really relate to it. It pretty much covers every type of person there is. There are people who live only for the present. There are people who are constantly looking to the future and planning for it, and then there are those who live and long for the past. So many people waste away the present looking back or forward, not realizing the by doing so, they will look to the past and regret it. Very interesting to think about.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at November 1, 2005 3:14 PM

Yeah, I agree with all of you because although Amanda's intentions are good I think she is going about trying to obtain what she expects her children want. Even she is trying to relive her life through her children and that is wrong. It is ok to want more for your children but I don't think it is ok for parents to try and live their lives again through them.

Posted by: Sean at November 1, 2005 3:25 PM

DENA!!!!!!!!! I thought you weren't going to tell what happened!!!!!!!!!!! AGH!!!!!!!!!!!! You know, I read other people's blogs too silly!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 1, 2005 7:44 PM

Sean,

Do you think this is because she is so preoccupied with the past - or do you think it is his actions that prompt her to say this?

Good thoughts, :)

Posted by: Katie Aikins at November 2, 2005 11:42 PM