« Frost "Mending Wall" and "After Apple-Picking" | Main | New Age Writing »

January 30, 2006

Judith Oster "On 'Desert Places'"

Oster [On ''Desert Places''] -- Jerz: American Lit II (EL 267)

"Having nothing more to say was what he assumed lay behind Hemingway's decision to commit suicide - a motive and a decision Frost defended."

This really made me think, to a poet speaking to the world is their entire purpose in life. So, when they run out of things to say what else is there left for them to do. Hemingway is one of my favorite writers, I never thought of him in that way.

Posted by SeanRunt at January 30, 2006 7:28 PM

I am really upset with Judith Oster. She continues to believe that there is nothing but emptiness and meaningless motion in this world, and I just believe something completely different. So now Frost defended the idea of Hemingway's suicide? Are we really seriously considering this? Come on. Hemingway, sad to say that he did kill himself, but he really was a genius. But he was also not right in the head, unfortunately. It's truly not fair to say that he just had "nothing more to say" is very cliche, and very bogus. I'm sorry, but there are true mental issues in society, and I think that Hemingway was a victim of that. And if Frost truly believes that emptiness made Hemingway kill himself, then there is something not right with him either.

Posted by: Jason Pugh at January 30, 2006 11:12 PM