« The Impulsive World | Main | My Own America »

Dear fat Stevens

Wallace Stevens -- Jerz: American Lit II (EL 267)

"...though they will frustrate anyone looking for literal meanings."

I agree with Shanelle that I am somewhat lost reading Stevens work. I like to find some meaning in what I am reading. If there is no meaning what purpose does it have of ever being written in the first place? I enjoy Stevens poems but I really don't understand his words.

Posted by SeanRunt at February 13, 2006 8:11 PM

Sean,
I think most of us are lost at reading Stevens work as opposed to Williams. Some of the Stevens poems are latin and the Williams poems are staight forward and plain english. I think this is why they are harder. However, I do like reading them and when you take words and lines apart it makes the meaning very clear. I like taking them apart for me it is easier to understand the poems.

Posted by: LisaRandolph at February 15, 2006 9:33 AM

Stevens is complex-I totally missed some really important symbolism in my poem of choice "Valley Candle", and had to re-do my close reading assignment. It's hard to remember that there is no "one right answer" when you don't even get an inkling of meaning after reading a work. Once I got my "foot in the door" of my Stevens poem, more and more unfolded to me.

Posted by: Brenda Christeleit at February 15, 2006 3:04 PM