« "I'm (The Great) Gatsby" | Main | Blogging Portfolio 1 for EL267 »

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Master of Imagery

Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (1925) -- Jerz: American Lit II (EL 267)

"I was reminded of something - an elusive rhythm, a fragment of lost words, that I had heard somewhere a long time ago. For a moment a phrase tried to take shape in my mouth and my lips parted like a dumb man's, as though there was more struggling upon them than a wisp of startled air. But they made no sound, and what I had almost remembered was uncommunicable forever." (111)

Up until the end of chapter 6 the love Gatsby has for Dasiy is only understood. The flashback (if you can call it that) that Nick tells of the two shows this love. It is an amazing thing to have a love that is so strong that every "important" thought is forgot. I've never read a passage in any novel, drama, or poem that has better captured that moment.

Posted by SeanRunt at February 21, 2006 4:15 PM

Sean,
I felt the same way when I read that last part of chapter six. However, I think Daisy is blindly in love and that she is only in love with him for his money. I could be totally wrong but I think that is the case here. I'm not sure if the writer is exaggerating or not. I find this book a little difficult to understand and yet interesting to continue reading.

Posted by: LisaRandolph at February 21, 2006 11:19 PM

Lisa,
That's true, I think Daisy may be only in love with him for his money but what I mean is that passage really shows Gatsby's love for her.

Posted by: Sean at February 22, 2006 11:27 AM

I too found this section of the book wonderful. This may sound strange, but I knew that it was powerful even before I trully understood what it meant. It is always beatiful to see a love so strong that it lives for years and when found again, is still the same. The fact that words cannot be told about it, is pretty amazing.

Posted by: Onilee Smith at February 22, 2006 3:42 PM

Yes, it evident there is some level of love between Daisy and Tom and Daisy and Gatsby. Perhaps they are all trying to be what they think the other person needs instead of realizing what really exists within the relationships.

Posted by: Shanelle Kapusta at February 22, 2006 10:34 PM