« A Good Man is Easy to Kill | Main | Animal Survival »

Thank You, Juvenal

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (1-31) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Juvenalian satire...is hash and censorious, bitterly condemning vices and foibles and inciting the audience to feelings of indignation and even disgust." (p. 22)

Satire is one of my favorite forms of literature, but after reading this chapter I realized that Juvenalian satire is my favorite form of satire. This section also reminded me of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. This is an excellent book about opposing censorship and Fascist ideals. Bradbury uses this style to make you feel outrage but yet instill fear of what might become of mankind.

Posted by SeanRunt at February 2, 2007 12:34 PM

Great to see you working ahead on this, Sean. In the other lit classes you've taken from me, I've been too focused on covering a time period or a genre in order to spend time on terms like this. I'll be interested in hearing what you and your peers have to say about this book.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 2, 2007 4:26 PM

Juvenalian satire is my favorite too. I don't always think about this, but satire doesn't always necessarily have to be funny. Fahrenheit 451 is a very serious book, but it satirizes elements of society in a way that is very brutal and incisive.

Posted by: MatthewHenderson at February 2, 2007 8:07 PM

Juvenalian satire is one of my favorites too. I don't often think about this, but satire doesn't always have to be funny. Fahrenheit 451 is a very serious book, but it also ridicules elements of society in a very brutal and incisive way.

Posted by: MatthewHenderson at February 3, 2007 4:03 PM

Whoops! Sorry, the first comment I posted took a long time to show up, so I posted another one similar to the first.

Posted by: MatthewHenderson at February 3, 2007 6:28 PM

I'm not sure if Juvenalian satire is ever funny. Swift's "A Modest Proposal," if anyone has read it, is far from funny, it's actually a bit horrible, and yet it manages to make fun of England's treatment of the Irish peasants without using any comedy at all. I think Juvenalian satire is something everyone should read, but I also know that if I'm having a bad day I'm going straight for the Horatian satire. Juvenalian, in my experience, is a little depressing.

Posted by: HallieGeary at February 4, 2007 3:26 PM

I agree that Juvenalian satire is a bit depressing, sometimes, but I like the fact that its effectivness to point out human weakness. I think that knowing your weaknesses is a very essential part to being a well-rounded individual.

Posted by: Sean at February 4, 2007 6:09 PM