Different Hooks

I like the idea of finding the different hook to each story as discussed on page twenty-seven.  I noticed in workbook 3 there were ideas for different hooks such as the fact that the 1st guy who lost his jump drive lived by the same park where the woman's purse was stolen.  A hook could have led from the fact that the librarian said there were tons of jump drives in a box in the lost and found.  These ideas were interesting, but I wasn't sure if Jerz wanted type of paper-later he said it would have been fine.  I also thought that I wouldn't have been able to have gotten as much information from these angles as I did from the original story.  If I had more time to work on these stories I would definately try to get more out of them.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Different Hooks.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-akdfh_tb.cgi/10455

» New Ideas, New Skills from JacquelynJohns

» My Bloggs-Beaoitch! from ShannonMoskal

There are always multiple different angles you can take on a story. Being creative about your angle means that even if someone else gets their story published first, someone who encounters an unusual angle on the story may still read it because it offers a unique perspective.

The "news hook" is something we're going to talk about more as the semester goes on.

Jackie Johns said:

I also found what you discussed, focusing your lead on what is unique about your story, a good point in the reading - the fact that news is repetitive is easily enough to understand, but I never realized it until I saw it spelled out in front of me. Finding a different element to your story is definitely a key to writing an effective lead.

Your application of this idea to WB3 is interesting too, something I never thought of. Even though I read the notes several times, I never noticed that the man in the story lived near the park where the robbery was committed. And even if I had, I doubt I would have worked that detail into the lead - but doing so is a perfect example of working unique details into a lead.

Jackie Johns said:

Yes, I also thought of the purse story. Having three different leads can "lead" to different angles. There can be three stories about the same subject, but each can be completely different. It all depends on what the author feels he/she needs to stress. Personally, I would have gone with Linda's point of view...