Controversy Begins in the Opening Pages of Huck Finn

One interesting technique used by Mark Twain jumped out to me immediately.  The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn start out by revealing that Huck Finn is a character who has already appeared in another story.  Mark Twain even incoorporates himself into the narrative by stating "Mr. Mark Twain".  I don't think that I have ever come across a novel that flat out states that it's characters are characters written by this author.  At first I didn't see the point in that, thinking that it takes away from a reader being drawn into a story and seeing it realistically but once I got beyond that initial thought I realized what Twain may have been trying to achieve. By having both Twain and Huck's voices in the opening pages, Twain is establishing Huck as an independant character.  The reader can gain a closer look at Huck's personality because off the bat we can see how independant he is.  We can already see this in his lack of acceptance to what the Widow and Miss Watson's teachings.   

I agree, but I was also thinking that it was a way of Twain showing off Huck's newfound voice. The first book was Tom Sawyer et. al., while this one is "Hey, it's me, Huck!" I assumed it was to let us know this is his all about me book.