Analyzing an Academic Source

In this academic source, critics are immediately introduced.  The second sentence states “Critics predominantly believe that this story is not about morality or ethics but about the powerful anatomy of a dark mind” (Magdalen).  This statement is also not a fact, but an opinion, which makes this essay a literary argument.  The writer also makes a judgment that “The Black Cat” is ethical, and that the narrator is mad because he deviates from the norms of traditional ethics.  Throughout the essay I saw very little plot summary and a great deal of discussion about the literary argument and opinions/facts to back it up.  Many critics were introduced as well to support the literary argument.  While I feel that in most cases literary critics are very useful in a paper, I almost feel that there are too many critics and different opinions being presented here that I am unable to keep focused on the argument presented by the thesis.  It seems as though the writer actually loses focus and goes on a bit of a tangent from time to time.  While I’m sure this information is very well-planned and the result of serious analysis, it doesn’t help me in the topic I am looking at. 

Ki, Magdalen Wing-Chi. "Diabolical evil and 'The Black Cat'." The Mississippi Quarterly 62.3-4 (2009): 569+. Literature Resource Center. Web. 15 Nov. 2010.