Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare

As any she belied with false compare.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Sonnet CXXX: My Mistress' Eyes are Nothing like the Sun

Ah, William Shakespeare.  What a guy.  No matter what mood I'm in, reading his sonnets always make me feel better.  I guess at heart, he is a hopless romantic too, even if he does have a mistress, haha.

The sonnet ends, as all sonnets usually do, with a rhyming couplet.  It states that even though his mistress doesn't compare with the glow of the sun, the beauty of a rose, or the majestic scent of perfume, that he still loves her anyways.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  One's physical features are not the only asset that make one beautiful.

I like reading Shakespeare for several reasons, but my main reason for reading him is that he puts things in perspective in a very creative way.  This piece obviously shows even when one points out another flaws, there is still beauty to be found.  Romeo and Juliet exploits the message that one should do what they believe in despite others. Hamlet shows the dangers of revenge and the importance of making decisions.  It shows themes of sanity vs insanity.  See? All of Shakespeare's works have an important message to be conveyed.  I also think that they are all very relatable.  No wonder we still read him his works today! The man is a genius!

homepage

Tiffany Gilbert said:

"Romeo and Juliet exploits the message that one should do what they believe in despite others. Hamlet shows the dangers of revenge and the importance of making decisions. It shows themes of sanity vs insanity."
I like how you reminded us that Shakespeare often goes against the grain, yet his works are often debatable in certain areas. I see how some believe that Shakespeare is pointing out the mistress's flaws but will always love her anyway. I saw it a bit differently, that he may have an infatuation about the woman, in which he suddenly realized differently. Your points about his plays show that there are multiple and debatable meanings behind them.
--Nice conclusion

I love Shakespeare as well Steph! I think that he was amazing and did a good job of going against the grain. Makes you wonder, what would our world be like today if Shakespeare had never existed? Who would we be reading instead?

Richelle Dodaro said:

I like how you bring up the fact that Shakespeare uses creativity so strongly, because I think this particular sonnet definitely shows that. This sonnet is a love poem, but it doesn't come off as that at first, at least to me. I also like how you acknowledge the fact that Shakespeare is a genius.