Maybe following the light isn't so bad afterall.

"Kelekian- This treatment is the strongest thing we have to offer you.  And, as research, it will make a significant contribution to our knowlege (Edson 11)."

I really enjoyed this play, despite my initial reaction to when I picked up the book.  I know that they say that you should never judge a book by it's cover...BUT, I'll admit that I did.  Technicially, it wasn't the cover though, it was the title.  When I saw that it was titled W;t initial reaction was "Oh God...It's a play about punctuation! WHAT NEXT!" I was honestly anticipating another Truss gone wild with punctuation book, but I digress!

I loved this play because I think that it teaches you a lot about life and your identity. When Vivian found out she had Cancer, I think that she took it a lot better than most people would (maybe because she had a PH.D. in Donne's poetry, and was surrounded by death all the time). She even had a sarcastic, but good, sense of humor about all the treatment plans and pain that she was going to endure in the next several weeks.

I liked that she tried to stay positive throughout the play, despite her lack of visitors, and uncaring doctors. Ethan stated in his blog entry that 'it's sad that after all the reader learned about Vivian, [that] she is reduced to a code.' Personally, I disagree with. For starters, to the doctors, Vivian was always a code to Jason.  She was merely a human guinea pig that endured experiements and treatment plans that the doctor's were going to add to their researched endeavors.  I especially hated when Jason would routinely (is that a word?) ask Vivian how she was feeling, and then not even care about her response.  It is human nature to say well, fine, ok... but I think it was obvious to see that she was in both mental, and physical pain.  Finding out she had cancer didn't destroy her, but rather made her grow as a person.  It caused her to reflect on her life experiences, and accept her faults and failures.  She came to peace with herself, and with her soon to be death. So she wasn't just a 'NO CODE.' As I wrote in my reflection, 'That's just medical terminology for they have come to pieace with death, and are ready to accept it.'

Now after stating that, I feel like I have to make one more comment to justify human nature.  I'm a firm believer that there is good (even if it is a little) in everyone.  I think that everyone has their moments, and that from something bad, can come something good. 

Code Team:

-It's a doctor fuck up (excuse mine and Edson's french)

-What is he, a resident?

-Got us up here on a DNR

-Called a code on a no-code?

Jason: Oh, God (Edson 85)

Right before this scenario, Jason screams "SHE'S RESEARCH!" I think that at this point in the play, the audience can see the true intentions that Jason had for Vivian, and that she was always just a experiment to him.  She wasn't his past teacher, she wasn't his friend, and she wasn't a scared patient, dieing from an incurable disease. BUT, there is hope for humanity, because after he verbally announces this, it is like a light bulb goes off in his head and he questions his actions.  It's almost like he didn't want to admit to himself that was happening, and after he said it, he constantly repeats, 'Oh God' several times. He realizes his wrong doings, and because of that, he will hopefully become a better doctor, and a better person.  Who knows, maybe the key to curing cancer is spending time with the patients, learning from them, and listening to what is happening to them as a person, not a guinea pig.  Maybe to cure cancer, all we need is to believe, and give that little bit of hope that will ease the pain and suffering.

Amen.