This is my kind of book.

"That you for this, Peter.  For dry eyes and silent weping.  You taught me how to hide anything I felt.  More than ever, I need that now (Card 45)."

-Talk about living without feeling.  Being programmed to kill. Being alone and isolated from other and living only through murder....

I would first like to say that I love this book.  I honestly can't put it down.  Sci-fi, and war, and advanced technology bascially has "Stephanie read this book" all over it! Although a lot of people don't like Ender right off the back, I have to admit that I think he is a pretty sweet kid. So yeah his temper gets the best of him sometime, but hey! It happens.  If I had people picking on me and constantly riducling me everday, I would probably retailiate too (in a more diginified way of course).  But when you feel isolated and and alone, naturally its going to build up and eventually beg to be let loose.  I guess I'm just saying that I like Ender. Maybe that's the devious, falling in love with the antagonist/protagonist type thing that I have going on.

I had a couple points that I wanted to bring up in the first 5 chapters.  First off, has anyone ever read Feed? It has the same feel as this novel does, and is also really good.  It deals with advanced technology and smart children and the problems that go along with the feed that they have programed in their necks.  So if you like this book, I highly recommend reading it.

Secondly, I thought that Orson Scott Card had an excellent example of showing on page 3.  He writes "The doctor was twisting something at the back of Ender's head.  Suddenly a pain stabbed through him like a needle from his neck to his groin.  Ender felt his back spasm, and his body arched violently backward; his head struck the bed.  He could feel his legs thrashing, and his hands were clenching each other, wringing each other so tightly that they arched." -- This reminded be of C3PO in Star Wars (yes I'll admit that I'm a proud geek when it comes to intergalactic battles!) At one point, C3PO is being put in the garbage shop and because he tends to talk so much, they open him up and click off his power source and he powers down.  Card utilizes the theme of robotics to show that the children in story aren't normal.  Their special, yet they have their weaknesses, which is why I think he wrote this passage.  I mean yes, they children are being brought up for war, but everyone has their weaknesses.

And last but not least, I wanted to bring up the point that I made in class.  The comparison between Ender's Game and Blood Diamond. It amazing how science fiction can relate to realism in the most accurate of ways; perhaps that is why I find myself drawn to it so much. Nevertheless, the two have a striking reality of children being brought up and processed for war. Ender was trained from a young age, but it had a choice of whether or not he was cut out for this lifeIn Blood Diamond, the children were taken from their village and forced for kill people and live the lives of the rebels. Ficiton vs. Reality.  Is there really such thing? You decide.

Enter the Millenium Falcon here.