Culture

"Genetic studies that investigate an author's life and times to determine what that author might have meant in a given work continue to be produced in larg numbers" (Keesey 409).

When I read this I automatically thought of author intent. Isn't this what this is. When you look at history aren't you trying to figure out in some what what the author was trying to say or how the author was possibly influenced? I actually thought history or cultural criticism would be very different or could stand on it's own but I guess it can't.

"We need to be aware of how much of our present we carry into our investigations of the past." (Keesey 410).

This is so true. I mean how often do we judge the things that we read by today's standards. This happens on a regular basis in most of my classes especially my english classes and it drives me nuts. Look at The Yellow Wallpaper , feminists have gone crazy over it because they are looking at it today's standards, all they can think about are women's rights. I wonder how many of those feminist critics have actually looked at the history of Charlotte Gilman Perkins and what was going on around her when she wrote the story.

The article also talks about how critics believe that when we read things like the yellow wall paper we are supposed to become more self aware. I understand that we may relate to the work depending on the situation of the main character but I don't agree with this because I think it goes against cultural criticism. The article says that we are supposed to become more aware of ourselves but if we are going to look at a work in this criticism aren't we supposed to become more aware of history and the things concerning the work, not ourselves? I think that if you want to have some kind of awareness about yourself you should read nonfiction.

Back to Keesey