Wallpaper, wall-paper, or wall paper?

I really liked this article, well I guess it also helps that this was a story that I actually liked even though I have read it a million times. I also enjoy looking at what people have to say about it.

"If Gilman had the advantage of our perspective, she might have been pleased by this confusion of textual identity" (Feldstein 402).

When I read this I got to thinking, imagine that. Anyways, I have to wonder if Gilman did want different spellings of wallpaper, I really think that the different spellings helps the story, the confusion of the story ties in with the confusion of the narrator (well if you want to say the confusion of insanity). "It is appearent that the words wall - paper were conceived as a shifter calculated to creat ambiguity about a referent that resists analysis, even as the narrator resists her husband's diagnoisis" (Feldstien 402). We aren't really supposed to be very clear in knowing whether the woman is crazy or what is really going on, or even if we have and understanding of the narrator's relationship with her husband. I really don't think this is a mistake and I kind of wonder what the reader's reaction would be if the editors would have left the original spellings in.

Along with this, if we want to say that this has nothing to do with the story, Gilman was probably writing in a time where there wasn't restraints or rules in writing. For the longest time writers could do whatever they wanted. Look at Emily Dickenson with all of her dashes, nobody does that anymore because I'm sure some editor would come along and say, "you can't do that".

"Critics generally agree that the narrator's condition deteriorates after she stopes writing in her journal" (Feldstein 403)
To be honest I think everyone thinks this is interesting, ok maybe not everyone did but I noticed it and thought it was interesting. I think it makes a lot of sense too. I know we are getting into the whole history thing and the fact that we aren't supposed to use the present to figure out the past but I think in this case it works. Recently researchers have learned that writing/journaling is really good for people, it helps get get thoughts, emotions, and feelings, and thoughts out there. When people bottle everything up everything around them changes, and it make sense that the narrator (after being discouraged from writting) lost her mind. Not that we all lose our minds if we don't journal but she just wasn't able to get her feelings out in anyway, not in speaking or writing.

Back to more wallpaper