Blog Portfolio for Video Game Culture and Theory (EL250) #2

During my second week of our class, I continued to expand not only my knowledge of video games in general but also the viewpoints of scholars, entrepreneurs, and those of my classmates.  Examining academic papers has been challenging at times; however, their lessons will carry over into many disciplines and my other classes.  As I begin to formulate my own research paper, I can only hope that I am able to convey my thesis in a clear, precise, and academic manner.

Coverage

The second week of class covered code, gender, ethics, research, and education and their relationship to games.  We finished our discussions on Koster (Finishing Koster) and moved onto one woman's struggles (Laurel's Utopia) and life lessons in the gaming industry.  Through her, we learned to become culture workers (The Laurel Conclusion).  We also learned that Gaming on Paper used to be a requirement for IF games and added to the playing experience.  We even discussed the science of ghosts (Pac-Man Ghost Hunters)!  We then turned are attention to gender and how a character's portrayal (Stereotypical Princess Peach ), either through the game or fans, was a reflection of the industry's history and our society.  Our discussions became serious by taking an in-depth look at games that touched upon shocking, violent, and sensitive moments in history (Do People Cry Over Dead Terrorists?).  We covered a lot of topics in only a week, but it only proves that video game culture and theory is worth the discussion.  

Here is a list of those other entries that I haven't mentioned.

Enter Interactive Fiction · Take Cubicle · Frustrating Adventureland · Finishing Koster · Understanding IF through the Players · Gaming on Paper · There is Colossal Cave · Pac-Man Ghost Hunters · Would the Real Laura Croft Please Stand Up? · Stereotypical Princess Peach · Value in Super Columbine Massacre RPG · Darfur is Dying · Do People Cry Over Dead Terrorists? · Laurel's Utopia · Fatworld is a Fat Dud · The Laurel Conclusion · IF Gaming · IF Gaming Continued · The Potential Persuasive Nature of Video Games · A Rock Band Case Study · Mortensen's Online Fantasy · Gaming Pedagogy · Theory of Games and Learning · Serious Gaming Fun

Depth

Many of my blogs were an in-depth look at the course materials and often analyzed academic articles.

Finishing Koster · Understanding IF through the Players · The Laurel Conclusion · The Potential Persuasive Nature of Video Games · A Rock Band Case Study · Mortensen's Online Fantasy

Interaction

I think that I do a good job at posing questions in my own blogs to spark dialogues (opposing or not) with my classmates.

There is Colossal Cave · Would the Real Laura Croft Please Stand Up? · Value in Super Columbine Massacre RPG · Darfur is Dying · Fatworld is a Fat Dud

Discussions

Some of my blogs have sparked conversation that furthered my intellectual examination of the subject. 

Gaming on Paper · Do People Cry Over Dead Terrorists? · The Potential Persuasive Nature of Video Games · Fatworld is a Fat Dud · A Rock Band Case Study

Timeliness

A vast majority of my blogs were written the day before they were due; however, they did spark early conversations on the subject at hand.

My Games Research Story

Xenoblogging

I have tried my best to interact with my classmate's own blogs to further our discussions.

Jeremy's EL 250 Delwiche (91-109) · Keith's Fatworld and just getting fatter · Jessica's Heartbroken--Reaction to Darfur is Dying · Cody's Dr. Jerz: Playing Blogger's Advocate · Michelle's Montfort · Beth Anne's Is this real life? · Matt's Case Study Open Choice

Wildcard

Laurel's Utopia